Question: How can I improve the efficiency of energy using systems when my facility is unoccupied?
Answer: An energy audit will typically identify energy inefficiencies in one or both of the following areas:
- Off-hour activities extend operating hours for energy using systems
- Building has extended occupancy areas such as computer rooms
The suggested operations and maintenance ("O&M") improvements and facility improvement measures ("FIM") will vary based on your facility's unique mix of inefficiencies, but what follows are some general guidelines.
Suggested Building Occupancy O&Ms:
- Reschedule off-hour activities to accomodate partial shutdowns of building systems other than ventilation systems.
- Reschedule custodial and cleaning activities during working hours whenever possible.
- Re-examine original assumptions regarding occupancy patterns and building usage. Modify patterns for increased energy efficiency.
- Isolate extended occupancy areas (including related support services such as restrooms and break areas) from the portion of the building having fewer operating hours.
Suggested Building Occupancy FIMs:
- Install an automated energy management system that will control all spaces in accordance with usage.